PDA

View Full Version : Filemaker Pro 12 - Responding slow

Bones
04-24-2012, 03:29 PM
Filemaker Pro 12 is responding slow. Keystrokes are delayed, etc. I checked CPU usage, closed other programs, double checked Start-Up programs. Nothing unusual going on. I am using it on a PC (Windows XP Pro) and never had this problem with prior versions. Thank you.

Josh Ormond
04-24-2012, 04:16 PM
I have personally seen it with a few converted layouts/solutions. Right now, those are reports coming in from all over FileMaker. There are a various reasons for the visual slow-downs you are seeing.

They mainly have to do with the new CSS-style themes and rendering engine. From another post I saw about it. FileMaker 12 is rendering each object (like fields and such) 4 times. The assumption is once for each state of the object (Normal, Hover, Focus, and Clicked or whatever they are). And also, the CSS itself is highly inefficient.

It will probably take FMI a little bit to work it out, but I assume they will. Since it's too big of a performance hit to leave as is.

RBD2
04-29-2012, 12:21 PM
My staff and I just spent 11 hours manually updating our older FileMake Pro business database with all the data that we had input into the new FMP 12 since the 14th. This was necessary because FileMaker Pro Advanced 12 is so slow that it does not work for us. It had seems sluggish at first but after using it we found that for us, 12 was just unusable. We would start to update a record then a couple seconds later, the screen would refresh to show the information that should have already been on the screen. Going back and re-inputing/building the old database (which has a complex structure,) was a nightmare. We had to go and input new, and update old, parent records, (parent as in file structure,) then work down the connections to input/update all the child records. Everyone should be very cautious about upgrading to FileMaker 12 unless they can do something about the speed.

Bones
05-01-2012, 05:22 AM
Every aspect of FM12 is extremely slow for me. Simple data entry is agonizing. I can type a string of 10 characters and watch them slowly creep onto the screen. Scrolling, drag and drop, opening of layouts, edits to layouts, everything is delayed. I have worked on this for days and have gone into all the possible causes in my system. The best solution for me has been to REVERT back to FM11. The program and my pre-converted databases for FM11 are still there, so the only problem has been tracking changes since the conversion of the databases to FM12. For me the database changes since the FM12 conversion has been fairly easy to determine. So, as of now, I have completely reverted back to FM11, and have deleted the FM12 converted databases and the conversion log. I will keep FM12 in its folder for now and not use again until I am satisfied that they have the kinks worked out. This was a week-long shut-down for me, particularly frustrated by a support call to Filemaker, during which the support rep told me that that Filemaker knew nothing about the problem, yet anyone can see that the Filemaker Forums are overrun with the issue. Up until FM12, Filemaker has been great, but FM12 is a serious problem. Good luck to anyone dealing with this.

Bones
05-01-2012, 05:26 AM
Due to the huge list of known issues with FM12, the best solution for me has been to REVERT back to FM11. The program and my pre-converted databases for FM11 are still there, so the only problem has been tracking changes since the conversion of the databases to FM12. For me the database changes since the FM12 conversion has been fairly easy to determine. So, as of now, I have completely reverted back to FM11, and have deleted the FM12 converted databases and the conversion log. I will keep FM12 in its folder for now and not use again until I am satisfied that they have the issues worked out. This was a week-long shut-down for me, particularly frustrated by a support call to Filemaker, during which the support rep told me that that Filemaker knew nothing about the problem, yet anyone can see that the Filemaker Forums are overrun with the issue.

- post merged from separate thread by admin -

Maarten Witberg
05-01-2012, 07:01 AM
Bones, point is clear, but please stick to one thread. Flames and rants are not tolerated.

Josh Ormond
05-01-2012, 07:22 AM
Just as a point of clarification...FileMaker IS very aware of the issue. They are currently collecting samples of issues and researching the problem to determine the reason/possible solution to the problem.

Just be patient. This was a VERY big change for the software. And it may take them a bit to figure out the best resolution...the best course is to keep production solutions running on 11. Covert and test a copy file. See if there are things you can do to make it workable. If yes, then carefully plan out a migration strategy. If no, then wait for FileMaker to release a patch for it.

I'm not entirely sure why you would have converted the solution to 12 without first testing it. Especially with file format changes and core changes to the code, test first, test second, test it again...then deploy.

DuckSportsFan
05-25-2012, 04:56 PM
I'm just reporting my experience, related to this post. I've converted my solution when FM12 was released because it's a future upgrade for users, down the road. I develop on an iMac 24" 4Gb ram, circa 2007. Everything was going along fine until today when the script step "show/hide text ruler" takes 10 seconds to process. I don't know why, but before it happened, I was caught in some sort of internal process that wouldn't show up on the debug as a script running, but some menus were grayed out. However, I was able to "Save As", then I forced Quit the FMA app. Upon rebooting and running the newly saved files (I use a data separation model), that's when the slowdown hit me. Even dragging the window bigger from the lower right corner, there's like a 2 second delay for the layout to catch up. Zzzzzz! Finally, I decided to run the "Forced Quit" file (never continue development on a crashed(forced quit) file, right? anyway), it runs fine with no delays, to speak of, just like you'd expect. So something happened in the "Save As" (compacted copy), apparently.

I subsequently "Rebuilt" a copy of the file that was "Saved As" to see if that might help... It did and runs just as fast as before. I then ran the original "Saved As" file, which was running slow, and it now runs fine! Now I'm at a loss. Is it WAN or LAN related? Oh well... I'm sure everyone here would recommend I continue my development with the "Saved As" file that has never been crashed, right?

-Paul Fenley
Eugene, OR (Home of the Ducks!)

mog
06-12-2012, 10:15 AM
I have today upgraded from FM Pro 11 to Pro 12 Advanced and had I known about the slowness reports I too would've waited. Editing layout and moving existing fields around is laborious. I'm going to continue using FMP11 until it's sorted. Presumably FM will announce an update.

[iMac 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM, 1067 Mhz DDr3,
OS 10.6.8]

2 Crabs
10-19-2012, 10:04 AM
It's mid-October 2012 and tests of the newest version of FMS12 and FM12 on converted FM11 apps are still appallingly slow in comparison. Is this a dead issue or will there be an update of FM12?

Maarten Witberg
10-19-2012, 11:13 AM
dunno. Haven't really had issues since the 12.0v2 update. Not had heavy loads on converted databases in that version admittedly, so far. Also I haven't seen many complaints since.

Josh Ormond
10-19-2012, 11:57 AM
In a web conference with the Product Managers they said they are actively working on it...and should have a patch soon.

Maarten Witberg
10-23-2012, 11:27 AM
it's here

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/11239/

Arberesh
11-15-2013, 10:05 AM
I'm running FileMaker Pro Advanced 12.0v5 and scrolling down lists and other layouts remains painfully slow.
I upgraded my MacBook Pro with 8 gb RAM and it didn't improve.
Makes me wish I'd have tested a few files before jumping in with both feet. I'll never make that mistake again.

Feirefiz
11-15-2013, 11:57 AM
Before jumping in to Mac OS 10.9? If so, that's why I haven't done it yet. If I do, I'd probably either partition my HD first so I could use the old and the new OS, or install the new OS on an external HD.

Ender
11-16-2013, 08:09 AM
It's more likely this is a problem based on the design of the layout than something from the OS.

Starting in FM12, elements are represented by CSS code. This works great for newly-created layouts using any of the FileMaker themes. But on layouts that are from files converted from previous versions, some elements take more work to describe in CSS, and more work to render. Especially custom graphics (things put together outside of FileMaker.)

You can try optimizing these layouts by rebuilding them with FileMaker themes, or at least as much FileMaker-native graphics as possible.

Graphics in container fields may also be a problem on list layouts. These should be avoided unless the graphics are properly saved at the displayed size. Turning on storage of thumbnails may also work.

I manage a large FileMaker solution for our company. We upgraded to FM12 in August 2012, and couldn't be happier. It's faster opening and closing. And faster running reports. We haven't noticed slow lists, but I generally give users plenty of opportunity to filter lists down to work with smaller sets.