Our Preferred 5 Star Hosting Provider - Award Wining FileMaker Pro Hosting
    FREE Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

'filemaker cannot share a file" error message

Hi All,

I recently reinstalled filemaker 7 onto my computer after a hard drive crash. When I load my old filemaker database, the following error message now appears:

"filemaker cannot share a file because filemaker network sharing is turned off"

Other than this, the database seems to be working properly.

FYI, during the reinstallation process I changed my login username (I am running windows XP Pro), and I suspect that my problem might be related to this.

If I try to change the username under "File Options" I can no longer access the file - filemaker then asks for an access password, despite the fact that there was no password associated with the old file.

Any suggestions as to how I can get rid of this message?

Cheers, Aaron
    Warning: This is an Old Thread
    This discussion is older than 420 days. information contained in it may no longer be current

Senior Moderator - FMT Preferred Developer Consultant - Netherlands, Europe, Asia, USA Maarten Witberg's Avatar
    FileMaker Version
    FM 10 Developer, FM 10 Server, FM 11, FM 11 Developer, FM 11 Server, FM 12, FM 12 Developer, FM 12 Server, Older Versions 2-8
    OS
    Windows & Mac
    Skill Level
    Developer
    Downloads
    Uploads

Re: 'filemaker cannot share a file" error message

Network sharing is set at program level not at file level. Go to menu bar-> filemaker pro -> sharing... -> filemaker network

for the password, try login "admin" - no password.
    Stick to what you don't know.

http://www.maartenwitberg.nl

-------

FREE Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the tip, but I think I may have mislead you. To the best of my knowledge, my old file and installation of filemaker were never set up for network sharing, and I do not want it set up.

Currently, the filemaker network sharing setting is set to "off". Under "file options" the log-in setting is already set to "Admin" / no password. If I change the log-in setting the database will no longer open.

Cheers, Aaron

Senior Moderator - FMT Preferred Developer Consultant - Netherlands, Europe, Asia, USA Maarten Witberg's Avatar
    FileMaker Version
    FM 10 Developer, FM 10 Server, FM 11, FM 11 Developer, FM 11 Server, FM 12, FM 12 Developer, FM 12 Server, Older Versions 2-8
    OS
    Windows & Mac
    Skill Level
    Developer
    Downloads
    Uploads

in the network sharing dialog, you can see a list of open files, and you can set network access for each individual file. My guess is your file will still show up as open for sharing.

as to the password issue, so you say you can open the file using admin - no pwd. What do you change the login setting to? It would need to be according to one of the accounts in the file.

-------

FREE Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

'in the network sharing dialog, you can see a list of open files, and you can set network access for each individual file. My guess is your file will still show up as open for sharing"

Thanks for that - it was marked as open for network access. All fixed now!

"as to the password issue, so you say you can open the file using admin - no pwd. What do you change the login setting to? It would need to be according to one of the accounts in the file'

I had tried changing the login settings to both my old username and my new username, and in both instances it prevented access to the file - for future reference, how do I access the accounts stored in a filemaker file?

Thanks, Aaron

FileMaker Version
    OS
    Windows & Mac
    Skill Level
    Developer
    Downloads
    Uploads

go to menu bar -> file -> accounts and privileges...

-------

Thread Information