Our Preferred 5 Star Hosting Provider - Award Wining FileMaker Pro Hosting
    FREE Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Not enough Memory? Help!

O.K. I am a MAC person so I do not have a solid handle on "memory management" for the PC platform. It WAS my understanding that windows handled all of that pretty much behind the scenes and that the memory was dynamic to the programs requiring it.

I perfected my ARCHIVING routine a couple weeks ago and this morning I went to archive a job and the script stopped halfway through with the message...

SORRY, There is not enough memory to complete this operation.

What can I do to address this problem? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

O.K. I went to the CONTROL PANEL and double clicked SYSTEM and have discovered I have 512 MB of RAM. That seems a bit on the chintzy side. Perhaps all I need to do is purchase more RAM? Are there any VIRTUAL memory settings I need to invoke? Are there any memory settings or preferences regarding memory in FileMaker Pro that I need to check?

Thanks for your time.
    Warning: This is an Old Thread
    This discussion is older than 420 days. information contained in it may no longer be current

FREE Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Not enough Memory? Help!

Were you printing something ? It could be that easy...

Check that the printer settings were actually those required for the document.

When running a print on an Invoice while the current printer settings is formated to Lanscape, you could get this message.

HTH

FREE Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Nope!

No printing involved. I simply opened 3 ARCHIVE databases. And then was transferring the appropriate records to be archived into them and deleting them from the active databases.

The script calls an external script - one in each of the ARCHIVE databases and they import all the "found" records from each database. After the import control goes back to the main script and it calls another external script in the active database and deletes all the found records. It does this for each of the Many to One relationships and lastly on the JOB database which is one record only.

FREE Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

OK, then here's another possibility to check for.

While you "Perfected" this script, you may have messed up with scripts, calling the script inside the script itself, ending in a circular script....

While a circular definition would be alerted in calc defs, it won't with script...

FREE Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks UGO! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

When I read your post at first I thought... "She's way off base"... But I figured before I told you that, I should at least print out my scripts and make sure before I told you so.

Much to my surprise there were three areas where the wrong script was called. I am baffled as to how that happened. I wonder if somehow I restored a wrong version of a backup at some point along the way because in both places where it was supposed to call the IMPORT script in the ARCHIVE databases it was actually calling the DELETE Records script (Which is never supposed to be called in the ARCHIVE databases. The script is only there in them because I had made copies of the active databases and renamed them as ARCHIVE databases and I left all the scripts intact (Probably not a good idea) It is only supposed to be called in the ACTIVE databases). So the script deleted all my archive records and then of course went into the active databases and deleted the associated records in them as well effectively doing completely away with all the job detail. Then where it is supposed to import the job record in the ARCHIVE JOB database the script called itself instead.

Anyway, I got it all sorted out and it is working again properly. Thank goodness I haven't launched the program live yet otherwise I'd have some MAD data entry clerks to deal with. I lost pretty much all my data that I had been inputting over the last several weeks. It's not the end of the world but it irritates me.

Anyway that did fix the memory problem. Thanks again because I would never have thought to look for that type of a problem! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

FREE Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

She? lol [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

FREE Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

JT,

Could it be that he saw me while I was trying my brand new pink dress ? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
    Hidden secrets revealed on the Internet.

Glad you fixed it anyway The Digital Man.

That's part of those features I'd like to be added to the next FM7. It shouldn't be a problem for FMI staff to use some "Condtional Value Lists" in their own software.

FREE Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Sorry about the gender error.

And many thanks for helping me see the error of my ways in the programming.

Thread Information