Our Preferred 5 Star Hosting Provider - Award Wining FileMaker Pro Hosting
    Preferred Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Email Script to format body of email

I want my email script to choose a different jpg or template in the body of the email. I tried having it insert a jpg but the jpg does not display as a jpg in the email. We are using outlook as our email client. We want the body of the email to have a certain color text and/or picture.

What's the best way to go about achieving this result. Currently the body has text that I have specified in the filemaker email script but we want to spice it up some!

Thanks in advance!

Caroline
    Warning: This is an Old Thread
    This discussion is older than 420 days. information contained in it may no longer be current

Senior Moderator - FMT Preferred Developer Consultant - New York - Worldwide AHunter3's Avatar
    FileMaker Version
    FM 9, FM 9 Server, FM 10, FM 11, FM 11 Server, FM 12, FM 12 Developer
    OS
    Windows & Mac
    Skill Level
    Developer
    Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Email Script to format body of email

Ain't happening with native functions. You'll need a plug-in.

Real email is a text based medium. HTML email is

a) not officially part of the email standard

b) supported in an inconsistent manner by the various email apps that do support it, since there IS no standard

c) not supported by FileMaker in any version

d) an abomination in the eyes of God anyhow

e) used extensively by spammers whose favorite trick is to embed a phony image tag that is actually the serial number of the spam-email you received, and the referenced server logs all requests for those images and that tells them how many folks did open & read their spam email

f) a vector for malware; if you would NOT send your browser to absolutely ANY web site with no cares in the world about catching a bug, why would you want your email program to open an email that contains HTML code that could be any damn thing? Think about it!

g) therefore likely to be filtered straight into the Junk or Trash folder, sight unseen, by a huge portion of your intended recipients unless these are your employees or colleagues or they actively opted in; and by a smaller portion of your intended recipients even then, since many of them will have spam filters already in place that they will have to cut a hole in to receive your HTML email and they may not anticipate a need to do so

h) take up more bytes per message than plain text

i) on many people's computers will NOT be rendered by their email program because they've set their settings to NOT render HTML, due to factors d, e, and f above, which means that your spiced-up email will look like this:
    Code:
    <p class=MsoNormal><span style='font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
    color:#1F497D'>There’s also a MAC version..i already provided you the link for
    it in the previous email..<o:p></o:p></span></p>

<p class=MsoNormal><span style='font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
    color:#1F497D'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p>
    ... and therefore probably will not be read even if it doesn't get wastecanned by their spam filters.

Having said all that, if you're bound and determined to use HTML email, look into the plug-ins Mail-It from Dacons and SMTP-IT Pro from Comm-Unity

Preferred Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Email Script to format body of email

Thank you for your reply, that was quite the reply! I actually don't want to embed a graphic, my customer does however. And seems bound & determined to get it done despite my reservations. I will check out the plugins.

BTW I particularly liked D: d) an abomination in the eyes of God anyhow...
    J

Thread Information