Our Preferred 5 Star Hosting Provider - Award Wining FileMaker Pro Hosting
    FREE Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

2 Value Lists and If statement doesn't work

Hi, I have a 2 drop-down lists working off the same value list and 2 If statements working off of the 2 drop-downs.

PURPOSE: to get the employee name from his/her ID#
    1. one drop-down and if statement works -- for the main staff person. When I use the drop-down to find the Main Contact person's ID# his/her name appears in the Staff Name Field
    2. one drop-down and if statement doesn't work -- for the back up staff person
      This is set up in exactly the same manner as the Main Contact, but is not working
      • I've changed created a copy of the value list, changed the name of the list, and linked it back to the drop-down list
        • the list works, but no name appears in the Back-up Staff field, just my error message
    Can someone help?
    tks
    Amy
    Warning: This is an Old Thread
    This discussion is older than 420 days. information contained in it may no longer be current

Senior Moderator - FMT Preferred Developer Consultant - New York - Worldwide AHunter3's Avatar
    FileMaker Version
    FM 9, FM 9 Server, FM 10, FM 11, FM 11 Server, FM 12, FM 12 Developer
    OS
    Windows & Mac
    Skill Level
    Developer
    Downloads
    Uploads

Re: 2 Value Lists and If statement doesn't work

I don't know why you're using any kind of IF statement either in a calculation field or in a script. What you need is a dropdown value list showing values from Employee ID also showing values from Employee Name. Pick the person and their ID drops in. Let's say you have a local field "MainStaffEmpID". You pick "John Smith" from the dropdown and John Smith's ID drops into MainStaffEmpID. Now you create a relationship between MainStaffEmpID to the Employees table, let's call that table occurrence "MainStaff". You can now put MainStaff::FullName on your layout.

If I've misunderstood what you're tyring to do, (which is possible), it's because what you're trying to do is a lot more obvious to you than it is to someone reading your description; you need to go into more detail and remember that we don't already know your database structure.

FREE Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

THANK YOU IT WORKED!!!!
    Amy

Senior Moderator - FMT Preferred Developer Consultant Arizona, NM, Texas, Southwest USA
    FileMaker Version
    FM 10 Developer, FM 11, FM 11 Server, FM 12 Server
    OS
    Windows & Mac
    Skill Level
    Developer
    Downloads
    Uploads

Amy - there is a good explanation of some underlying and obscure (at least it was to me) characteristics of popup and drop down menus, and their behavior. AHunter was able to very effectively describe it in this FAQ post ....

http://filemakertoday.com/com/showth...makertoday-FAQ

Section 19.1 of the second post.

Thread Information