Last Post
    11-04-2011
    Local Date
    08-19-2017
    Local Time
    02:33 PM
    Last Active
    11-04-2011

What's the ODBC Connection String format for connecting to FMSA11 with ASP.NET 4 app?

I've been looking all over the place -- what is the correct format for creating an ODBC connection in an ASP.NET app to Filemaker Server Advanced 11? Upgrading to FMSA11 broke all of our ASP.NET apps' ODBC connections.

We've:

1. Installed the new ODBC drivers
    2. Updated the "System DSN" entries to use those new drivers.
    3. Tried various shades of calling the DSN and creating a non-DSN connection to FMSA11.

We have two ASP.NET 4 apps that use this connection. One of them doesn't seem to connect at all, throwing the following error:
    ERROR [IM002] [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Data source name not found and no default driver specified

Could this stem from an error in our ODBC connection string format? What is the proper connection string format for an ASP.NET ODBC connection to FMSA11?

The other app is a simple thing that connects to FM, pulls text from a field in filemaker, allows you to modify that text in a web browser, and then returns the text to the field in Filemaker. This app is incredibly slow now, and sometimes gives a "page not found" error. We can't figure out why this happens -- it's not very much text (between 100 and 5000 characters). This inconsistent behavior is bizarre, especially when the app worked fine with FMS9 (and the corresponding SequeLink DataDirect 5.5 driver).

Any ideas? I'm tearing out my hair over this. I've updated the ODBC drivers, checked and re-checked the System DSNs, performed "test connections", reinstalled IIS and ASP.NET until my fingers bled. I'm totally out of ideas.

Thanks in advance for even the merest hint of a troubleshooting suggestion.
    Warning: This is an Old Thread
    This discussion is older than 420 days. information contained in it may no longer be current

FREE Member
    Last Post
    11-04-2011
    Local Date
    08-19-2017
    Local Time
    Last Active
    11-04-2011

Re: What's the ODBC Connection String format for connecting to FMSA11 with ASP.NET 4

Update: when running the application in debug mode within VS I get "+ $exception {"ERROR [28000] [FileMaker][FileMaker] (213): Password incorrect\r\nERROR [28000] [FileMaker][FileMaker] (213): Password incorrect"} System.Exception {System.Data.Odbc.OdbcException}" The DSN, account name, and password used in the connection string are all good (the connection string is something like "DSN=dsnname;UID=accountname;Password=passwd" I can make a test connection with the Filemaker ODBC driver using that account info. I can log into the Filemaker client with that info. Does anyone know why this isn't working?

FREE Member
    Last Post
    11-04-2011
    Local Date
    08-19-2017
    Local Time
    Last Active
    11-04-2011

Re: What's the ODBC Connection String format for connecting to FMSA11 with ASP.NET 4

In the server event logs, Im also getting the following Bonjour Application Error. """ mDNSCoreReceiveResponse: Reseting to Probing: _fmpro-internal._tcp.local. SRV 0 0 5003 .local. """ followed immediately by another Bonjor Application Error: """ mDNSCoreReceiveResponse: Received from :5353 59 ._fmpro-internal._tcp.local. TXT 3 Server 11.0v3 GwGHs?>WaGbPRGNQJL\MkH6NIhjUFCS]

FREE Member
    Last Post
    12-08-2011
    Local Date
    08-19-2017
    Local Time
    01:33 PM
    Last Active
    12-08-2011

Did you ever get an answer to this issue? I am having a similar issue after upgrading the FMSA11.

FREE Member
    Last Post
    02-15-2012
    Local Date
    08-19-2017
    Local Time
    01:33 PM
    Last Active
    10-16-2012

With a DSN:

"DSN=dsn_name;UID=user_id;PWD=password"

DSN-less:

"Driver={FileMaker ODBC};Server=ip_address;Database=fm_database_name; UID=user_id;PWD=password"

Jonathan Monroe
    Actual Technologies - ODBC for Mac OS X
    http://www.actualtech.com

Forum Member
    FileMaker Pro Software
    FileMaker 14 Advanced
    OS
    Windows
    Skill Level
    Pro
    Last Post
    05-20-2016
    Local Date
    08-19-2017
    Local Time
    12:33 PM
    Last Active
    05-20-2016
    check this one....

using System.Data.Odbc; ConnectionString = "Driver={SQL Server};" + Server=servername;DataBase=databasename;" + "Uid=username;Pwd=password;";
    OdbcConnection connection ;
    connection = new OdbcConnection(ConnectionString);
    connection.Open();

More samples...connection string

Wells

Thread Information