12-02-2012
    Local Date
    09-21-2017
    Local Time
    04:51 PM
    Last Active
    12-02-2012

Bills of Mateials

I consult frequently for small manufacturing companies and would like to create an application that works up from parts to subassemblies then assemblies and eventually to top level product sales projections. This is essentially the foundation for and MRP or ERP system. I have some ideas and have started a method of doing a value stream costing but need a start with parts, assemblies then multi-level Bill of Materials techniques.

Seems it isn't so easy from the searches I've done so far but it is hard to believe this hasn't been done yet.

Thoughts?
    Warning: This is an Old Thread
    This discussion is older than 420 days. information contained in it may no longer be current

Senior Moderator - FMT Preferred Developer Consultant - West Coast USA - Global Techphan's Avatar
    FileMaker Pro Software
    FileMaker Pro Advanced 16
    OS
    Windows & Mac
    Skill Level
    Intermediate
    Last Post
    06-27-2017
    Local Date
    09-21-2017
    Local Time
    05:51 PM
    Last Active
    09-21-2017

Re: Bills of Mateials

It probably has been done -- maybe or maybe NOT in FileMaker. One-off programs can require a lot of time and/or money to develop. I put my two "main" daily programs into place in 2006 and have made rather minor refinements since then. After time and effort I went through to develop these I would never just "give" them away, especially to someone in the same line of business. Sell - perhaps, but more likely license.

The other issue is that even if someone has done something exactly analogous to your business, chances are you would want some things - maybe even many things -- changed to better suit your tastes. Programming your own will give you the chance to do just that.

Forum Member
    FileMaker Pro Software
    Filemaker Pro 14 Adv
    OS
    Mac
    Skill Level
    Novice
    Last Post
    03-17-2017
    Local Date
    09-21-2017
    Local Time
    06:51 PM
    Last Active
    03-23-2017
    Our company is also looking for a very similar solution.

Thread Information