Our Preferred 5 Star Hosting Provider - Award Wining FileMaker Pro Hosting
    FREE Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Records from Multiple Tables in One Portal

I've searched this out, and haven't been able to find an answer. Hopefully someone here can help out.

I am developing a Filemaker database for the company I work at. We have multiple divisions in our company. We have a single account list. Each division has its own Table (and their respective layouts) in a single Filemaker file. In each of the tables we store balance due information. We use the account number from the account list table as the relationship between the multiple tables. Our goal is to be able to go to the account list layout and see the total balance due in one place for all tables in our Filemaker file.

As an example:

[ACCOUNT LIST TABLE]
    Record 1:
    AccountNumber: 1001

[PRINTING DIVISION TABLE]
    Record 1:
    BalanceDue: $10
    Record 2:
    BalanceDue: $5

[WEBSITE DIVISION TABLE]
    Record 1:
    BalanceDue: $50

Is there a way to go to a layout for the [ACCOUNT LIST TABLE] and in one Portal, see the two records from the [PRINTING DIVISION TABLE] and the [WEBSITE DIVISION TABLE]?

I understand I can have multiple portals. Can I consolidate the tables into one Portal?

Thanks in advance!
    Warning: This is an Old Thread
    This discussion is older than 420 days. information contained in it may no longer be current

FileMaker Version
    FM 9, FM 9 Server, FM 11, FM 11 Server, FM 12
    OS
    Windows & Mac
    Skill Level
    Intermediate
    Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Records from Multiple Tables in One Portal

No, but if you reorganize your data so that Balances are in their own table (with AccountNumber, BalanceDue, Date, Source, and SourceType fields) you can easily list balances for all divisions. The Source field would be the record number in the appropriate division table, and the SourceType field would be some sort of identifier of the table the data is coming from (perhaps "Website" or "Printing"). You would also need to create a global key field in each of the division tables which matches one of the choices of the SourceType field in Balances.
    Give the gift of life. Register as an organ donor today!
    http://www.organdonor.gov/become.asp

Senior Moderator - FMT Preferred Developer Consultant - West Coast USA - Global Techphan's Avatar
    FileMaker Version
    FM 9 Server, FM 10 Server, FM 11, FM 11 Server
    OS
    Windows & Mac
    Skill Level
    Intermediate
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have a suggestion. Place ALL the accounts in one table, and then dedicate (at least) one field to the name of the originating department. You will ultimately be much happier this way -- one portal will sum all records -- rather than use multiple tables one for each division. At best with multiple tables you can place multiple portals on one layout and use a script to grab these value and total them with a script.

I have tried the multiple tables and copying records from each of two / three / four tables into one table - this is way too much complicated and error prone. Stay away from this if at all possible.

FREE Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the suggestions. I have been contemplating the "all accounts in one table" idea, but I would rather avoid that. We have separate invoice numbers for each division. I would like to keep the auto-increment on the invoice number. I would have to come up with a script that bases the invoice number on the division and auto-increments that way if it were all one table. Not the end of the world, but I'd rather keep the tables.

I like the idea of having a balances table. Hmmm... I'll let that one sizzle in there for a while. Might just be the answer!

Thanks again!

Thread Information