Our Preferred 5 Star Hosting Provider - Award Wining FileMaker Pro Hosting
    FREE Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Simple Network Setup

The Scarpetta Group- our preferred FMT Forum Consultants
    Hi

I am trying to setup a very simple network using two laptops both running Windows 7 on the same LAN. They both have "standard" networking configured. I am able to successfully ping from the "client" laptop to the "server" laptop. I have switched network sharing on in the server laptop in "Filemaker Network Settings," and also setup privileges and allocated a user login. On the server I selected "open remote file but no servers are showing, the hosts box is empty, the cupboard is bare!

Cannot fathom what I have missed out, any suggestions gratefully received. thanks, Smudger
    Warning: This is an Old Thread
    This discussion is older than 420 days. information contained in it may no longer be current

Senior Moderator - FMT Preferred Developer Consultant - New York - Worldwide AHunter3's Avatar
    FileMaker Version
    FM 9, FM 9 Server, FM 10, FM 11, FM 11 Server, FM 12, FM 12 Developer
    OS
    Windows & Mac
    Skill Level
    Developer
    Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Simple Network Setup

Assume you're working at Machine #1 and the other laptop is Machine #2.

a) Don't be insulted but your skill level does say novice, so this is a novice question. Do you have a file open and running in FileMaker on Machine #2?

b) If you switch from Local Hosts to Favorite Hosts and enter Machine #2's IP address as a Favorite Host, can you then see the hosted files?

c) If the answer to b is yes, are the computers on the same subnet, or different?

d) If the answer to b is no, do you get the same results if you open a file on Machine #1, walk to machine #2 and try to obtain the Machine-1 files via Open Remote / Hosts? Including doing it via Favorite Hosts as described in step b?

FREE Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Simple Network Setup

Thank you Al for your prompt reply, yes I am a novice but an eager to learn one! We were on the same subnet and it all worked using the favourite host. Brilliant thank you, I will try and come up with a more challenging question next time!

Thread Information