Our Preferred Hosting Provider - Award Wining FileMaker Pro Hosting
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Preferred Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Slow to process through network

The Scarpetta Group- our preferred FMT Forum Consultants
    I have attached a jpg show some speed tests. The client is using Filemaker Network and a single Mac Computer to host the file. Does anyone know why the network user is so much slower. Only three computers on the network. Each computer using a gigabyte network card.

This is a continuation of Slow script that Hunter assisted with. The script is down to a few seconds, so I do no longer feel the scipt is an issue.

thanks,
    jim
    Warning: This is an Old Thread
    This discussion is older than 420 days. information contained in it may no longer be current

Preferred Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Slow to process through network

speed test.JPGHere is the attachment

Senior Moderator - FMT Preferred Developer Consultant - New York - Worldwide AHunter3's Avatar
    FileMaker Version
    FM 9 Developer, FM 9 Server, FM 10 Developer, FM 10 Server, FM 11 Server, FM 12 Developer, FM 12 Server, Older Versions 2-8
    OS
    Windows & Mac
    Skill Level
    Developer
    Downloads
    Uploads

a) The single Mac computer that is acting as host: is it being used for ANYTHING else? Or is it just sitting there with the file open and hosted in FileMaker Pro?

b) Do I correctly understand that it is indeed using FileMaker Pro (not FileMaker SERVER) to host the file? Is it hosting any other files? How many TOTAL FileMaker guests, for ALL files combined? Are you the only remote user opening the file as a guest of host?

c) The file ITSELF: is it on the single Mac's own internal physical hard drive, or is that file actually somewhere else? If "somewhere else", explicitly where is it in relationship to the Mac?

d) Click for click and keystroke for keystroke, in excruciating detail, EXACTLY how are you opening the database from the guest computer? (Hypothetical Example: from within FileMaker, go to the File menu, Open, click "hosts" button, click LocalHosts, click the IP address of the single Mac, click the name of the database on the right hand panel, click 'OK' button, enter account and password)

Preferred Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks, I will repost as once a new walk through is done, so exact notes can be made.
    The only other app open is email.

thanks,
    Jim

Preferred Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Answers to your questions.

a) The single Mac computer that is acting as host: is it being used for ANYTHING else? Or is it just sitting there with the file open and hosted in FileMaker Pro?

tried it both ways, doing nothing but filemaker and excel; other test, I had about 10 programs open. there was no difference in speed.

b) Do I correctly understand that it is indeed using FileMaker Pro (not FileMaker SERVER) to host the file?

filemaker pro.

Is it hosting any other files?

no.

How many TOTAL FileMaker guests, for ALL files combined?

when I did the tests, there was one host and one guest.

Are you the only remote user opening the file as a guest of host?

in real life, one host and 2 constant guests. in the test, with the numbers I showed you on the excel, one host, one guest.

c) The file ITSELF: is it on the single Mac's own internal physical hard drive, or is that file actually somewhere else?

hard drive of my macbook pro.

If "somewhere else", explicitly where is it in relationship to the Mac?

d) Click for click and keystroke for keystroke, in excruciating detail, EXACTLY how are you opening the database from the guest computer? (Hypothetical Example: from within FileMaker, go to the File menu, Open, click "hosts" button, click LocalHosts, click the IP address of the single Mac, click the name of the database on the right hand panel, click 'OK' button, enter account and password)

guest opens filemaker 12. goes to Open Remote. goes to local hosts. clicks on host. one file then appears. clicks on that file. puts in login and password. then is in the file.

Preferred Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hunter, I just discovered the network is wireless. A Comcast modem to the Internet and an Apple Airport.

Jim

Senior Moderator - FMT Preferred Developer Consultant - New York - Worldwide AHunter3's Avatar
    FileMaker Version
    FM 9 Developer, FM 9 Server, FM 10 Developer, FM 10 Server, FM 11 Server, FM 12 Developer, FM 12 Server, Older Versions 2-8
    OS
    Windows & Mac
    Skill Level
    Developer
    Downloads
    Uploads

Can you get the machine that's on AirPort on a regular ethernet connection?

That probably won't make all THAT much difference but it might make some.

I think it's just a slow network.

Preferred Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by AHunter3 View Post
    Can you get the machine that's on AirPort on a regular ethernet connection?

That probably won't make all THAT much difference but it might make some.

I think it's just a slow network.
    Yes we can go to a regular ethernet connection. Is the AirPort slow in general? Should this be changed also and the complete network become wired?

thanks,
    Jim

FileMaker Version
    OS
    Windows & Mac
    Skill Level
    Developer
    Downloads
    Uploads

Most wireless networks have more latency than ethernet-wired networks, and somewhat lower bandwidth, or at least that's my understanding. I'm not a network guru, though.

Downloads
    Uploads

i think this is not big problem

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information