Our Preferred Hosting Provider - Award Wining FileMaker Pro Hosting
    Downloads
    Uploads

Runtime implementation

The Scarpetta Group- our preferred FMT Forum Consultants
    Can someone point me to information on implementing runtimes for FM Pro 12. I understand I need FM Pro 12 Advanced. I am on windows, can I generate a runtime for a Mac if I run the Advanced version on windows? Do I need an installer for the Windows and Mac runtimes. Can anyone recommend an installer if one is needed.
    Thanks
    Warning: This is an Old Thread
    This discussion is older than 420 days. information contained in it may no longer be current

FileMaker Version
    FM 9 Developer, FM 10 Developer, FM 11 Server, FM 12 Developer, FM 12 Server
    OS
    Windows & Mac
    Skill Level
    Intermediate
    Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Runtime implementation

Quote Originally Posted by laguna92651 View Post
    I am on windows, can I generate a runtime for a Mac if I run the Advanced version on windows?
    No, a runtime must be compiled on the platform it is intended for. Your FileMaker installer disk has both Windows and Mac versions of the program, so you can install it on both platforms. You cannot, however, run both versions simultaneously with the same license code.

Do I need an installer for the Windows and Mac runtimes.
    It depends on how sophisticated your users are. Windows 7 is very picky about where users can access files. The Windows runtime creates a stack of .dll files that must be kept in the same folder as the runtime .exe and .usr files. For general distribution, I would consider an installer.

Can anyone recommend an installer if one is needed.
    For Windows, I have used Jordan Russell's free Inno Setup with great success. I haven't had any first-hand experience with Mac installers.
    Give the gift of life. Register as an organ donor today!
    http://www.organdonor.gov/become.asp

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the response, just to clarify. If I have the advance version, I can install FM 12 on a Win 7 machine and on a Mac (both installs are on the CD), just can't run FM 12 at the same time on both machines. I can then move the app file I developed on the Win 7 machine and open it on the Mac machine and create a Mac runtime of my app. There is no runtime license cost correct? I only need one runtime.

A some what related question, does the purchase of FM 12 Pro give me a license to run on my laptop and desktop machines?

FileMaker Version
    FM 9 Developer, FM 10 Developer, FM 11 Server, FM 12 Developer, FM 12 Server
    OS
    Windows & Mac
    Skill Level
    Intermediate
    Downloads
    Uploads

The FileMaker EULA states
    (b) Backup, Portable and Home Rights. You may make one copy of the Software in machine readable form solely for backup purposes. Additionally, the primary user of the computer on which the Software is installed may make a second copy for his or her exclusive use on either a home or portable computer. As an express condition of this License, you must reproduce on each copy any copyright notice and other proprietary notices that are on the original copy supplied by FMI.
    I'm not a lawyer, but I understand that to mean that the second copy referred to can be installed on either platform.

You are correct about being able to copy your .fmp12 file back and forth between platforms.

There is no license fee for runtimes.
    Give the gift of life. Register as an organ donor today!
    http://www.organdonor.gov/become.asp

Thread Information