FileMaker Version
    FM 12 Developer, FM 12 Server, Older Versions 2-8
    OS
    Windows & Mac
    Skill Level
    Developer
    Downloads
    Uploads

Unhappy Are Runtimes not a Client/Server Option?

The Scarpetta Group- our preferred FMT Forum Consultants
    I've created a runtime version of a database application which is broken up into separate client and server databases. Everything works great when these two databases are running as Filemaker Pro (client) and Filemaker Server.

But when I create a runtime of the client database it seems, to my astonishment, that there is no client/server functionality with runtimes. When I open the new runtime file and attempt to browse records in a layout based upon remote (server) data, I receive an error message "The file 'ServerDB' could not be opened. ( Not Found )" Likewise, when I attempt to import records from the server via a script step, the same error condition occurs.

After enabling the admin user in the runtime, I attempted to do a simple record import and all that seems available is from a local Filemaker file, or from an XML source.

Can it be true? Is there no way to create a client/server application with a runtime client? I was doing this in Access years ago. Is this Filmaker's way of ensuring that no large enterprise adopts their product?

Anyone found a way to serve realtime data to a runtime application without XML?
    Warning: This is an Old Thread
    This discussion is older than 420 days. information contained in it may no longer be current

Senior Moderator - FMT Preferred Developer Consultant Arizona, NM, Texas, Southwest USA
    FileMaker Version
    FM 10 Developer, FM 11, FM 11 Server, FM 12 Server
    OS
    Windows & Mac
    Skill Level
    Developer
    Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Are Runtimes not a Client/Server Option?

Runtimes - at least up through FM version11 - are stand-along single user environments, so as to not detract from sales of FMPro. :-(

Gold Member
    FileMaker Version
    OS
    Windows & Mac
    Skill Level
    Developer
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks kirkrr. Today has been a tragedy for us. We're on the verge of scrapping our use of Filemaker over this. You use IWP quite a bit if I recall. We've had very rapid adoption of our IWP interface, but hate the anomolous behavior between browsers and the customer service that requires. The controlled environment of a runtime/GO solution is very attractive. Now we need to enable offline data viewing and entry so we've got to do something and I don't think we're going to buy a couple thousand FMPro licenses. My last ditch effort is to attempt to secure an XML data source from Filemaker Server for import into the runtime.

Do you know how to pass credentials via an XML query? Where would username and password go in this URL: http://67.78.89.123/fmi/xml/fmresult...duals&-findall

Senior Moderator - FMT Preferred Developer Consultant Arizona, NM, Texas, Southwest USA
    FileMaker Version
    OS
    Windows & Mac
    Skill Level
    Developer
    Downloads
    Uploads

Now GO is a different story. FM apps deployed on GO are effectively runtime, from a code protection standpoint, but in general, fully FM functional otherwise. There are a number of design considerations to make it "finger-friendly". You can even create apps that run tethered (your client-server) or untethered and sync on reconnect.

AND FM Go is now free on iPad/iPhone, with the only require that you have FM12 as the development environment.

As far as FM limitations under IWP, there are very few that don't have suitable workarounds, with the noted exceptions of PREVIEW, sub-summary reports, PDF generation and EXCEL exporting. I have IWP apps deployed in behavioral health clinics running multiple browser versions and computer illiterate users, without problem. (as long as IE6 is NOT the browser of choice - THAT is a BIG problem).

I've been working a bit on migrating to RunRevs Livecode, which ports to everything in minutes, connects to everything, and is quick to write. It is difficult, with as much time invested in FM, to just walk away, however... :-(

Gold Member
    FileMaker Version
    OS
    Windows & Mac
    Skill Level
    Developer
    Downloads
    Uploads

Livecode looks promising. We are only beginning to look so thanks for the pointer. I wish we could count on our clientele having iOS devices, but no.

Looks like there is no way to pass credentials securely from the Import Records (XML Data) script step. That would be a solution if it were possible.

FileMaker Version
    OS
    Windows & Mac
    Skill Level
    Developer
    Downloads
    Uploads

The LIVECODE developer forums are extremely robust, with really good information. I just don't have the bandwidth to do both that and FM, as programming is a (30 year) hobby - with real products that I have to maintain - not a profession, and at best, the source of beer money, not sustainable, recurring income. My regular work - executive management consulting - is intense, so programming is an escape down a completely different mental process :-)

I do not believe there is a way to pass credentials, but if you could put the credentials into imported fields, you could script their way into usable form.

FileMaker Version
    OS
    Windows & Mac
    Skill Level
    Developer
    Downloads
    Uploads
    BTW: I am not seeing "anomolous behavior between browsers" starting in IE7 and getting better with each IE pass. Safari, Firefox, Opera and Chrome, all behave consistently, with IE working in almost every scenario.

I'm really liking Chrome and Firefox as they provide user indications of load status while records transfer to the screen.

There are still all the various design workarounds of dealing with IWP, like having to create a value list edit/add screen, as you can't add new items to a value list in IWP in field.

IF I could move everyone to FMGo, it would be grand! The screen designs are already set up for no menus (IWP again), so getting them into FMGo would be a piece of cake.

Thread Information