OS
    Windows
    Skill Level
    Novice
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Windows 8

A Global does the trick

I have been watching some training on FileMaker, and currently the instructor is showing how to build a system that navigates the Layouts in a solution. In the early stage of it, we have only added the back button. An interesting thing has come up, and I figured I am better of trying to fully understand what is going on rather than just be satisfied I can get it working in my solution. For the back button we built one Script that get attached to the Layout via a Trigger (it stores a variable that is list of Layout numbers) and one that gets attached to the button (It retrieve the Layout we want to return to and removes it from list). The instructor than explains why it won’t work (seems like it should). He says that the other scripts firing on the Layout will clash with it so it cannot do it job. He goes on to show a procedure that fixes the problem. I present it in the pictures, I think what is going on here is it is he is creating a clause that will say “no matter what, create a situation for this to run” but that is just what I see. What does this $$Nav global variable (pic) do for you that makes it work (it does work)?

http://pctechtv.com/show/makehappen.png

Senior Moderator - FMT Preferred Developer Consultant - Minnesota - Upper Midwest - USA - Global Ender's Avatar
    FileMaker Version
    FM 12 Developer, FM 12 Server
    OS
    Mac
    Skill Level
    Developer
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mac OS X 10.6.8
    It's to stop the recursive execution of the script when the Go to Layout step is reached.

FileMaker Version
    FM 12
    OS
    Windows
    Skill Level
    Novice
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Windows 8
    Thank you! How did you learn this, just experience? Any content you can direct me to would be appreciated. If not able still thanks for the keywords, this is a good starting place.

Senior Moderator - FMT Preferred Developer Consultant... New York, New England and Global Josh Ormond's Avatar
    FileMaker Version
    FM 11 Developer, FM 12 Developer, FM 12 Server
    OS
    Windows & Mac
    Skill Level
    Developer
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Windows NT 6.3
    Primarily experience.

When you hit the layout, the script triggers will fire. And start the script over again.

The first script in you png just looks for that variable and says, "If the $$Nav variable isn't currently being used in the script, set the $$Back variable appropriately". Otherwise, the script would go round and round every time it hits the "Go to Layout" step.
    Josh Ormond ~ Senior Moderator
    Your Philosophy: "Simplicity is the answer for Complexity."
    My Reply: "It takes a great deal of Complexity to make something Simple. Have you seen Google.com?"

Check out my blog: The FileMaker Rift [RSS]
    ==================================================
    Looking for FileMaker help? Become a member of the FileMaker Cafe today [click here].
    Have questions contact me here: Email

Thread Information