Last Post
    10-16-2017
    Local Date
    10-17-2017
    Local Time
    10:49 AM
    Last Active
    10-17-2017
    Since I don't know your workflow, I can't answer that.

Do you want the fields to update when you enter the layout, or when you click an Update button, or when some other event occurs, or all the time?

How do you tally new vs used cars? Separate records? Separate fields? Separate tables?

If I were starting this project, I would have a table for Salesmen, one for Deals, and one for Cars. I would use additional TOs of Deals related by calculated c.YearBeginDate and c.MonthBeginDate fields. Then it would be easy to create calc fields to count the related records.

snap2.gif
    Give the gift of life. Register as an organ donor today!
    http://www.organdonor.gov/becomingdonor

Forum Member
    FileMaker Pro Software
    FileMaker 14 Advanced
    OS
    Windows
    Skill Level
    Novice
    Last Post
    05-03-2016
    Local Date
    10-17-2017
    Local Time
    Last Active
    05-03-2016
    Doug,

Here is the workflow. We aren't tracking makes and models of cars, just sales for that employee for the month. New Cars, Used Cars, Pending .

Employees Table is where you enroll employees.
    Sales Records is where everything is stored for new cars, used cars, and a time stamp field.

When you add a deal it copies the employee ID from the employees table, as well as the employees full name. It then gets dumped into the sales records table where the new cars and used cars reside with a time stamp field.

The Sales Records table is then displayed on a layout called Sales Board which table is sales records.

The goal here is for this solution is to track just new and used cars sales for the month. Then when the month ends i was going to have another table setup to take the final numbers. So each record in the new table would count as a month. As long as i can get the data to display correctly on the sales board.

If you have a better suggestion to accomplish this let me know. It would be cool to have the user be able to start their own month and end their own month. Give them the control. When the month ends, the user would hit a button end month and a script would run and dump the totals for that month into another table.

The way its setup now is the data is sorted by dates on the sales board upon layout entrance. Once you get in the layout, it then sorts the data by a users full name. Its not crucial if YTD cant be displayed on the main screen , can always add that into reports later if you wanted to pull stats for a particular employee.

workflow.jpg

Forum Member
    FileMaker Pro Software
    FileMaker 14 Advanced
    OS
    Windows
    Skill Level
    Novice
    Last Post
    05-03-2016
    Local Date
    10-17-2017
    Local Time
    Last Active
    05-03-2016
    We were on the same page with a table for deals. I just named it sales records. I changed it to deals. I like that better. I think im going to remove pending from the sales records and make that its own table because pending deals can carry into another month. In the pending deals table it would be

Make
    Model
    Stock #
    Employee ID
    Employee Full Name
    Notes

Then on the sales board screen you can hit the pending deals button and have a script written to delete the pending deal if it falls through or not or change pending to a new or used sale. Whats your thoughts on that ?
    Last edited by ZoocMan85; 12-03-2015 at 08:31 AM.

Senior Moderator - FMT Preferred Developer Consultant - West Coast USA - Global Techphan's Avatar
    FileMaker Pro Software
    FileMaker Pro Advanced 16
    OS
    Windows & Mac
    Skill Level
    Intermediate
    Last Post
    06-27-2017
    Local Date
    10-17-2017
    Local Time
    07:49 AM
    Last Active
    09-29-2017
    [EDIT: Sorry, this was (attempted to be) posted yesterday to an earlier post. Connection issues, a website timeout, and the fact that we were in the midst of the local shootings I never followed up.]

You can attach it to a button on the header of the layout, it can be run from the script drop-down menu (if the menu is active to your users), or if it one of the first 10 "checked" (visible) scripts it can be run by hot-key.

You can also use two global fields to set custom StartDate and EndDate finds (mentioned by Doug in one of the posts above).

Script Steps

Enter Find Mode[] <--- I almost always uncheck the "Pause (script)" selection since I am setting the find parameter
    Set Field [SalesTable::SaleDate ; StartDate & "..." & EndDate]
    Perform Find[]
    Last edited by Techphan; 12-03-2015 at 12:20 PM.

FileMaker Pro Software
    FMPA 14
    OS
    Windows & Mac
    Skill Level
    Intermediate
    Last Post
    10-16-2017
    Local Date
    10-17-2017
    Local Time
    Last Active
    10-17-2017
    Keep the Cars table, as you may wish to track them in the future. The deal should be related to a car in the Cars table. Whether the car is new or used is an attribute of the car, not the deal. The Deal record can display that information from the related car record.

Completed, pending and abandoned are all attributes of a deal, so you should probably keep all of them in the Deals table, in a Status field. You can use global key fields in the Deals table to relate to the Status field in new TOs of Deals to harvest stats. You may also want to report failed deals in a management report in the future.

There is no reason to duplicate (and many reasons NOT to) things such as employee names in multiple tables. Since the Employees table is related to Deals by the employee ID, you can simply place Employees::name fields in any Deals table layout.

Displayed time intervals can be easily changed by setting global start date and end date fields, and either doing a find using those fields or creating related records in other TOs using those fields as the primary keys in the relationship.
    Last edited by doughemi; 12-03-2015 at 12:48 PM.
    Give the gift of life. Register as an organ donor today!
    http://www.organdonor.gov/becomingdonor

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information