06-15-2017
    Local Date
    07-22-2017
    Local Time
    10:51 AM
    Last Active
    06-15-2017

Allow users to create a new record but not see others

I have searched for this but not found any current threads. I would like to make a solution for our school which allows users to create a record and choose classes they would like to teach. I don't want users to see any other responses. This will be done via Webdirect on Server 16. I realise this is a development question so I'm fine if I get a response like "start here . . . " or "buy this book". I currently make simple solutions with scripts in Filemaker but I am no expert. Thanks for your time - it's much appreciated.

FileMaker Pro Software
    FMPA 14
    OS
    Windows & Mac
    Skill Level
    Intermediate
    Last Post
    07-11-2017
    Local Date
    07-21-2017
    Local Time
    08:51 PM
    Last Active
    07-21-2017
    In very broad terms, this requires the use of Get(AccountName) and a relationship from a field containing that expression to a CreatorName field in a TO of your Response table. Each user would have his/her own individual account. My own internet search for "filemaker get(accountname) see own records only" turned up half a dozen resources.

Once your database progresses to the point where you can ask specific questions, we can certainly be of more help.
    Give the gift of life. Register as an organ donor today!
    http://www.organdonor.gov/becomingdonor

Forum Member
    FileMaker Pro Software
    FileMaker 16 Advanced
    OS
    Windows & Mac
    Skill Level
    Intermediate
    Last Post
    06-15-2017
    Local Date
    07-22-2017
    Local Time
    Last Active
    06-15-2017
    Thanks very much. That's a good start . . . Cheers.

Forum Member
    FileMaker Pro Software
    FileMaker 16 Advanced
    OS
    Windows & Mac
    Skill Level
    Intermediate
    Last Post
    06-15-2017
    Local Date
    07-22-2017
    Local Time
    Last Active
    06-15-2017
    Quote Originally Posted by doughemi View Post
    In very broad terms, this requires the use of Get(AccountName) and a relationship from a field containing that expression to a CreatorName field in a TO of your Response table. Each user would have his/her own individual account. My own internet search for "filemaker get(accountname) see own records only" turned up half a dozen resources.

Once your database progresses to the point where you can ask specific questions, we can certainly be of more help.
    I do have another question if I may? I am learning a lot on solution design via Lynda. I'm a bit stuck on a relationship/entity point. My database is to allow staff to sign up to teach subjects and pick a role in it. Staff may have more than one role and more than one subject. The role choices are currently: organiser, teacher or tutor. When I draw the ERD, Staff to Subjects is many to many. I thought I could use Roles as the joining table but But Staff to Roles is sort of many to many too. I thought about this and I could add one more option - "combined". This means that the Role entity only has 1 finite choice i.e. radio button not checkbox. But it still seems that it could be a many to many relationship. Do I need instead, another table with a single ID? Thanks for your time, it’s much appreciated.

FileMaker Pro Software
    FMPA 14
    OS
    Windows & Mac
    Skill Level
    Intermediate
    Last Post
    07-11-2017
    Local Date
    07-21-2017
    Local Time
    08:51 PM
    Last Active
    07-21-2017
    IIUC, you will need a table of ClassAssignments, with Role being a field in that table. Each record will also need fields for fk.StaffID and fk.SubjectID (as well as Room, Day, Time, and other fields which I will be willing to bet you now have in the Subjects table, but are not actually attributes of the Subject). Now you will have a proper join table, with each ClassAssignment record being related to only one Staff and only one Subject. If another Staff has a different role in that class, this is recorded in a new record.

Note that this allows you to schedule two sections of Biology if necessary that term, with each one uniquely identified as to place and time.

This also allows you to search for conflicts ("Dang, I've got 2 classes in Room D at the same time!"), and your staff can easily choose which section of a Subject fits their schedule.

EDIT: Note also that this does not preclude having a Roles table. That way, the role in the ClassAssignment table can be chosen from a value list of Roles, and if a new Role is necessary in the future, you simply have to add a new record in the Roles table instead of having to rebuild the schema of the ClassAssignment table.
    Last edited by doughemi; 06-14-2017 at 10:28 PM. Reason: Afterthought
    Give the gift of life. Register as an organ donor today!
    http://www.organdonor.gov/becomingdonor

Forum Member
    FileMaker Pro Software
    FileMaker 16 Advanced
    OS
    Windows & Mac
    Skill Level
    Intermediate
    Last Post
    06-15-2017
    Local Date
    07-22-2017
    Local Time
    Last Active
    06-15-2017
    So kind of you - thanks very much. I'll be into this tonight!

Thread Information