06-09-2017
    Local Date
    07-21-2017
    Local Time
    08:51 PM
    Last Active
    06-09-2017

Filtering Value Lists with 3 Tables

Greetings. I am relatively new to Filemaker and haven't used it in over a year so am a bit rusty. I am working on a quick database for a survey of a couple archaeology site and need some help getting some value lists to filter.

We are surveying multiple sites and each site is divided up into many many quadrants.

When I find a new artifact, I want to be able to pick a Site from a Popup Menu. Then, I'd like to be able to pick a Quadrant from a second Popup Menu. The Quadrants are not unique names between site (both Site A and Site B have quadrants B3) so I want the value list in the Quadrant Popup to only show the quadrants in the selected Site.

The problem I keep running into (I think) is that I am not storing the SiteID in the Artifact table. As a result, my SiteID Popup doesn't have anything in it. Any suggestions or help? Thanks!

Screen Shot 2017-06-08 at 9.59.09 AM.png

Drew

Senior Moderator - FMT Preferred Developer Consultant - New York - Worldwide AHunter3's Avatar
    FileMaker Pro Software
    FileMaker Advanced/Developer 14, 13, 12, 11, 10, 9. 8.8, 8, 7, 6, 5.5 FileMaker Pro 8, 7, 6, 5.5, 5
    OS
    Windows & Mac
    Skill Level
    Developer
    Last Post
    07-21-2017
    Local Date
    07-21-2017
    Local Time
    Last Active
    07-21-2017
    You need a field in Artifact that holds whatever selection you make when you select a quadrant. That field should have a value list powered by related values of Quadrant::Quadrant ID but the field itself is in Artifact.

Then you need a relationship to Site anchored by what you've selected.

like this.jpg

Forum Member
    FileMaker Pro Software
    Filemaker 15
    OS
    Mac
    Skill Level
    Novice
    Last Post
    06-09-2017
    Local Date
    07-21-2017
    Local Time
    Last Active
    06-09-2017
    That helps but I'm not quite there. I think my issue is in how I'm populating the value lists.

On my Artifact Layout, I have the following:
    - Popup for field Artifact:SelectedSite. The value list there is pulling from Site:SiteID and shows all values. (this works great fine)
    - Popup for field Artifact:QuadrantID. The value list here is my problem. I am pulling from Quadrant:QuadrantID and showing values related to something...

I have tried related values to Artifact, to SelectedSite (second instance of my site table that I added via AHunter's suggestion), Site (original table connected to artifact through quadrant). All of those options are giving me "".

Any ideas? This is the last thing I need to finish this off and it is also one of the most crucial parts. Thanks!

Drew

Thread Information