Last Post
    07-20-2017
    Local Date
    07-20-2017
    Local Time
    05:32 PM
    Last Active
    07-20-2017

Serious Issue Happening!! Major annoyance!!

Why is it that Filemaker 16 is doing this? I have a MacMini running the latest and most recent updates of Mac OS 12. As in the screenshot, it's happened 4 times in a 30 minute period, I click on an icon at top of inspector panel and everythings great but then i go to click another one and the panel greys out but if i try to click somewhere that i think the style dropdown is i can see the menu in it. If i go to click another icon then as in the screenshot both icons turn blue. The only way to get the panel back to normal is to completely close filemaker and re open it. Very annoying!! It actually turned black earlier today instead of grey but i couldnt click anywhere in it to try to click something. I have also seen that sometimes i try to do a condition on a field and its not available so guess what? i close and reopen FM16 and you guessed it, its there and i can do the condition on the field. Its also done it where i go to try to access the dropdown menu while in layout mode and it wont let me. So again, yep you guessed it. Restart FM16. All this is while in layout mode trying to design it.

This doesnt happen on my PC. Now i havent tried installing FM16 advanced on another mac and maybe i should and see what happens but it cant be something with FM16. Not Apple! they would never have any bugs in their software.

Really need help. Anyone know? I know if i call filemaker all they will do is take a log and look at logs and come back and say we dont see anything in the logs or no thats just something on your Mac. Which i would incline to agree with the "something on my mac" part.

Thanks in advanced!

Screen Shot 2017-06-29 at 12.35.53 PM.pngScreen Shot 2017-06-29 at 3.36.27 PM.png
    Last edited by mjhnson24; 06-29-2017 at 02:51 PM.

Gold Member
    FileMaker Pro Software
    Filemaker 14
    OS
    Windows & Mac
    Skill Level
    Intermediate
    Last Post
    07-20-2017
    Local Date
    07-20-2017
    Local Time
    Last Active
    07-20-2017
    The reason i think it may be my mac especially after i tested on another mac running OS 10.12.4 and it did fine for the 10 minutes of testing is even when i had FM15, when i went into ScriptManager, eventually the scripts on the left side would start acting crazy and folders they are in and disappear or start going crazy graphically etc and id have to restart to get it back. But wanted to make sure if anyone else was having that issue. I got 10.12.5 but my MacMini is a late 2012 model with an i7 and 16gb of ram. But i think its my OS or something thats causing it to have issues. Maybe it needs to be reformated and do a migration from my time machine backup. Or maybe the HardDrive acting crazy?

FileMaker Pro Software
    FileMaker 14 Server
    OS
    Windows & Mac
    Skill Level
    Developer
    Last Post
    06-29-2017
    Local Date
    07-20-2017
    Local Time
    Last Active
    07-20-2017
    Hello MJ...This more than likely has a lot to do with your graphics processor whether it's built in, or ram based. That is what your issues seem to point to. We have had other members experience similar issues in the past. I would strongly suggest trying to at least double your memory "real memory" or by kissing your mini mac goodbye. If I recall correctly is what they ended up doing. HTH

Gold Member
    FileMaker Pro Software
    Filemaker 14
    OS
    Windows & Mac
    Skill Level
    Intermediate
    Last Post
    07-20-2017
    Local Date
    07-20-2017
    Local Time
    Last Active
    07-20-2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Ross MacLane View Post
    Hello MJ...This more than likely has a lot to do with your graphics processor whether it's built in, or ram based. That is what your issues seem to point to. We have had other members experience similar issues in the past. I would strongly suggest trying to at least double your memory "real memory" or by kissing your mini mac goodbye. If I recall correctly is what they ended up doing. HTH

Yea and thats what im thinking myself. I have an Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB. Not sure what the one i tested FM16 on earlier is as im updating it to 10.12.5 right now so ill check it when its done in the morning as im about to leave for the day. But it is a 2014 mac that it ran on ok for the 10 minutes of testing. I may shut it down and bring it in to my office in the morning and try it for a while tomorrow to see what it does before i try to reformat this 2012 mac mini.

Well my current 2012 macMini that FM16 is having issue's on has 16gb or memory so that should be more than plenty for Filemaker. Now the 2014 i tested it on for 10 minutes to see what it did on another mac only has 8gb but ill tae it for now till i can get updated.
    Last edited by mjhnson24; 06-29-2017 at 03:59 PM.

FileMaker Pro Software
    FileMaker 14 Server
    OS
    Windows & Mac
    Skill Level
    Developer
    Last Post
    06-29-2017
    Local Date
    07-20-2017
    Local Time
    Last Active
    07-20-2017
    Let me know how that turns out, as I am more than sure you will not be the only one on this board to goes through this! Have a Happy Safe 4th!

Gold Member
    FileMaker Pro Software
    Filemaker 14
    OS
    Windows & Mac
    Skill Level
    Intermediate
    Last Post
    07-20-2017
    Local Date
    07-20-2017
    Local Time
    Last Active
    07-20-2017
    Let me know how that turns out, as I am more than sure you will not be the only one on this board to goes through this! Have a Happy Safe 4th!

Havent grabbed the ma mini in the conference room of ours yet and out it in my office but i will in a few minutes but i know it has an intel iris 1536 graphics card in it. I'll see what it does since its a newer mac than mine eventhough its only an i5 with 8gb memory and mines i7 with 16gb. Atleast i can try it and see what it does and go from there.

Gold Member
    FileMaker Pro Software
    Filemaker 14
    OS
    Windows & Mac
    Skill Level
    Intermediate
    Last Post
    07-20-2017
    Local Date
    07-20-2017
    Local Time
    Last Active
    07-20-2017

So far i've been using the 2014 mac now that has Intel Iris 1536 MB Graphics Card, 2.6ghz I5, 8gb Memory with macOS 10.12.5 and everything i had issues with during layout design hasn't given me any problems yet. including everytime i went to change the font size of a field in the Inspector window, the dropdown menu wouldn't work properly, it keep closing on me so i was only able to type size in manually. The 2014 mac isnt given me those issues.

So as you said Ross MacLane, im gonna say the same thing and say that its the graphics card. Just wish Filemaker and apple since they are both the same would actually put more specs and test things out more instead of saying yea FM16 will work with 4gb ram minimum and as 10.11 and 10.12.

Gold Member
    FileMaker Pro Software
    Filemaker 14
    OS
    Windows & Mac
    Skill Level
    Intermediate
    Last Post
    07-20-2017
    Local Date
    07-20-2017
    Local Time
    Last Active
    07-20-2017
    Still see a couple things that happen like for instance the dropdown menu for the font size in the inspector still gotta manually type the size in it but dont see much other graphical issues when developing. Not yet atleast. Running a 2014 macmini with the intel Iris.

Screen Shot 2017-07-20 at 10.16.29 AM.png

Thread Information