Last Post
    07-21-2017
    Local Date
    08-20-2017
    Local Time
    07:54 PM
    Last Active
    07-21-2017

Thoughts on Data separation model compared to single file?

So just wanted to see what peoples thoughts were on a Data separation model (data file, interface file, Documents file) etc. or atleast data file and interface file compared to a single file having all tables in it.

So lets say you have around 20 tables (work orders, clients, prospects, projects, activity notes, purchase orders, invoices, etc). I know its a little cumbersome to have to close the interface file and go to the data file to add fields etc but in my opinion i kinda like it cause then when creating records from one table to the other, you can handle all the record creation via scripting to the data file behind the scenes and never have to see layouts switch or flip around or change or blink or anything cause you have to go to a different layout for that table you need to create a record in. Just makes it much cleaner and easier in my opinion.

Whats everyone else's thought's or opinion's?

Senior Moderator - FMT Preferred Developer Consultant - New York - Worldwide AHunter3's Avatar
    FileMaker Pro Software
    FileMaker Advanced/Developer 14, 13, 12, 11, 10, 9. 8.8, 8, 7, 6, 5.5 FileMaker Pro 8, 7, 6, 5.5, 5
    OS
    Windows & Mac
    Skill Level
    Developer
    Last Post
    08-18-2017
    Local Date
    08-20-2017
    Local Time
    08:54 PM
    Last Active
    08-20-2017
    I put my opinions down in a vintage-2010 thread and I'll stick with them.

Gold Member
    FileMaker Pro Software
    Filemaker 14
    OS
    Windows & Mac
    Skill Level
    Intermediate
    Last Post
    07-21-2017
    Local Date
    08-20-2017
    Local Time
    07:54 PM
    Last Active
    07-21-2017
    Quote Originally Posted by AHunter3 View Post
    I put my opinions down in a vintage-2010 thread and I'll stick with them.
    Yea we have the multi file hassle that you spoke of in your link above. Unfortunately i took over the database stuff for the company and it was already 20 files or so on the server and each for the most part having 2 or more tables per file. Real pain in the butt to deal with. We fortunately dont have to deal with logins for each user so thats a plus but ideally it would have been nice. But we are so far deeply tie to other things like SQL tables, MySQL tables, a C# app that talks to filemaker on a specific file etc that i would have no problem tackling and redoing it all from scratch and having a test server set up to play with new files designed from scratch but boos just dont wanna tackle that. Atleast not for now. Probably not ever. I eventually created a data file (separation model) to put all new tables i need to create in that one since its easier for me due to most all of our files needing to talk to the same tables so putting it all in a data file and connecting all our files to it so they can all talk to the same tables is much easier for me.

Now we are currently building another file from scratch that that has a global table in it but all other tables are in the data file. We are wanting to do to this one what we wanted to do with the others from the get go. all the cool tips and tricks etc.

We are also gonna actually build a system that does mostly what ours does but a more basic version (probably separation model) that we will sell and charge to maintain for other companies in our business that look up to us cause of how much filemaker is tied into doing everything we do. That will be a nice project that we will start in august and hopefully be done by january. Ive been searching the web for all sorts of different demos files and any filemaker file i can get my hands on and get ideas of how others are doing it if the file is fully accessible or atleast design ideas and functionallity wise if i cant access it and just guess as to how its done as far as scripting and all.

Really just curious to see what others thoughts are on the idea. But anyone got and comments, criticism (be nice lol), tips and tricks then im open to em. i will be taking advantage of the JSON feature as to passing more than one piece of data to another script via script parameter. use to have a function that did it but now gonna use JSON so i can learn it.

FMT Preferred FileMaker Consultant - Trainer jaymo67's Avatar
    FileMaker Pro Software
    FileMaker 15 Advanced
    OS
    Mac
    Skill Level
    Developer
    Last Post
    08-09-2017
    Local Date
    08-20-2017
    Local Time
    05:54 PM
    Last Active
    08-09-2017
    FileMaker was designed to have the data and interface in one file. Separating those parts takes away the legendary ease-of-use for which FileMaker is known. When I develop a solution, I plan it out but there is always some organic component. I don't just type in all the fields, create all the tables and link the table occurrences. What ends up happening is I forget a field and need to create it. Ah, but I'm in the interface file creating a layout so I can't just hit the keyboard command for Manage Database. I have to first click on the data file. Might not seem like much but my brain goes a million miles a minute. If I slow it down, I lose my train of thought. I prefer a single file so I can quickly move around and build features in the order I see fit.
    FileMaker Developer for over two decades. Certified in FileMaker 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 and 15.

Thread Information