07-28-2017
    Local Date
    08-20-2017
    Local Time
    08:55 PM
    Last Active
    08-12-2017

Relate 2 Sections

Q 1: How do we check mark a unique numbered coupon (√) in one section (C) and have this info transferred also to THE relevant numbered coupon in another section (B)?

Here are screen shots of our LayOut Format; in order to better relate to our question.
    http://www.fishaven.com/fmp.html

FileMaker Mentor
    FileMaker Pro Software
    FM 16 Advanced
    OS
    Windows
    Skill Level
    Intermediate
    Last Post
    08-06-2017
    Local Date
    08-20-2017
    Local Time
    Last Active
    08-20-2017
    I moved your thread to more appropriate location.

Forum Member
    FileMaker Pro Software
    FileMaker 16
    OS
    Mac
    Skill Level
    Novice
    Last Post
    07-28-2017
    Local Date
    08-20-2017
    Local Time
    Last Active
    08-12-2017
    Thanks Steve

Senior Moderator - FMT Preferred Developer Consultant - New York - Worldwide AHunter3's Avatar
    FileMaker Pro Software
    FileMaker Advanced/Developer 14, 13, 12, 11, 10, 9. 8.8, 8, 7, 6, 5.5 FileMaker Pro 8, 7, 6, 5.5, 5
    OS
    Windows & Mac
    Skill Level
    Developer
    Last Post
    08-18-2017
    Local Date
    08-20-2017
    Local Time
    Last Active
    08-20-2017
    Your written description and the 3 diagrams help a lot as far as explaining to us what you want to do. But you haven't given us any form of description of your database structure, how you have attempted to implement these processes.

So it's a little bit like someone saying "I wrote a piece of music about falling in love at first sight at the airport, and I need the right musicians to perform it well", without explaining whether it's a symphony, a rap song, an a cappella ditty, a country music tear-jerker, or what.

I can ramble a bit about how I probably would have set it up if it had been my project, but it may bear no relationship to your table structure or the data-entry workflow that you have now, and if it doesn't that doesn't mean you have to hit your database with the wrecking ball and start over — there are multiple different ways of doing nearly anything in FileMaker — so much as it means that you need different advice that's more based on your structure. But you won't get better advice until you describe your structure.

Anyway, here goes:

• I would have a table of Clients in which each record is a single unique client. It has a unique Client ID. It has fields like Name and Email and Phone and Address and other info specific to the client. It does not have info about the sale of a coupon or a block of coupons, form of payment or date of purchase or date it gets used or any of that, that goes in a different table.

• I would have a table of Coupons in which each record is a single unique coupon. Presumably each coupon is sold and used only once (right?) so a given coupon either has been sold yet or it hasn't, and, if sold, is associated with one client; and, if sold, either has or has not been used; and it has a Sold Date and a Used Date. It has a Client ID which matches the Client ID of one unique Client when it gets sold. It has all the payment info about how the coupon was paid for.

• Using your Section B as a guideline, I'd make a layout that resembles it and use it at the actual point of sale. I would have global fields into which I would type in Date Sold and Method of Payment and Number of Coupons being bought. Then I would put a button there to execute the sale which would kick off a script that would go over to the table of coupons and find the first unsold coupon number and go from that one to that number + the number being sold and mark on each such coupon record the Client ID, Date Sold, and all the payment-method info stuff.

• Using your Section C as a guideline, I'd make a layout that displays unique ticket numbers. Honestly, I would push back at a customer of mine who wanted it to look this way, with numbers in a grid. I'd counterpropose a search screen where you enter the coupon number (which is printed on the coupon) and do a quick Find and now you're looking at that individual coupon itself. But if you insisted on a grid, I could build it. Clicking on a number would pop up an individual coupon's record in a popup window. Either way, you mark the Used Date, autofill on click with today's date I guess, modifiable as you say. Inputting a Used Date implies the status is now used.

• Assuming Section B is a layout that shows records from Clients and has a portal that shows that clients' coupons, any such portal records would display the status of that coupon (used date, color-code for whether used yet or not) as you see fit.
    Last edited by AHunter3; 07-29-2017 at 07:13 AM.

Thread Information