Local Date
    09-20-2017
    Local Time
    10:52 AM
    Last Active
    09-08-2017

Hidden Summary Field still being calculated on FM Go

Hi,

First, I'm using the latest versions of FM Go 16 and FM Advanced 16.

I have hidden summary fields (based on which users are logged in) that work well on the Mac version of FileMaker but it's giving me issues on FM Go. I basically set a Global Variable to "hide" when a specific user group logs in (it's part of my launch script). As expected, on the Mac, when the user goes to this layout, the layout loads instantly and the summary fields are hidden. When I do the same thing with FM Go on my iPad (same layout, same user...) it forces the Summary fields to be calculated, however, the fields are in fact hidden once the calculation is done. Because of the nature of this calculation, it's extremely slow to summarize (hence I why I hide it for this user group).

So, why would a hidden field work fine and not summarize when hidden on the Mac version but on iPad with the same layout and user it summarizes (very slowly) even if the fields are in fact hidden even after it summarizes.

Thanks for any suggestions or tips.

Alex

FileMaker Mentor
    FileMaker Pro Software
    FM 16 Advanced
    OS
    Windows
    Skill Level
    Intermediate
    Last Post
    09-19-2017
    Local Date
    09-20-2017
    Local Time
    Last Active
    09-20-2017
    My guess would be you can't stop a summary field from summarizing. It's probably doing it on your desktop, but happening so fast you don't see it.
    Try removing the summary field from the layout. If that works, maybe you'll have to create 2 similar layouts, one with, and one without the summary field and navigate appropriately.
    If this is only when the file opens, maybe freeze window and/or go to splash screen of the same table occurrence first. I found things much slower on Go, and have to strip down layouts to make things go faster. Especially type aheads and portal filters tend to bog down on Go vs. Pro.
    Last edited by Steve Martino; 09-08-2017 at 11:30 AM. Reason: typo

Forum Member
    FileMaker Pro Software
    FileMaker Pro 16 Advanced / Go
    OS
    Mac
    Skill Level
    Intermediate
    Last Post
    09-08-2017
    Local Date
    09-20-2017
    Local Time
    Last Active
    09-08-2017
    I know the desktop isn't summarizing it because I have a toggle to "unhide" the summary fields and when I do, the summarize calculation starts and takes a few minutes to complete (both on iPad and desktop). On the iPad, it does the long calculation regardless and when it's done the fields are still hidden unless I toggle to "unhide" using a button I created. So even though FileMaker isn't supposed to calculate a hidden summary field, it's doing it on iPad but not on desktop.

Basically, regular users only have about 50 records and I want them to see the Summary fields (the summarization happens nearly instantly for them) but admin users have 3,600+ records and by default, I want the summary fields hidden unless the admin user toggles from hidden to un-hide/show.

I ended up using a slide panel and by default it displays an empty panel if the user group is "admin" and then the "unhide/show" toggle displays the panel with the Summary fields which then also triggers the long calculation process (which is what I want). For regular users, it simply displays the panel with the summary fields.

Thread Information