10-17-2017
    Local Date
    10-19-2017
    Local Time
    11:41 PM
    Last Active
    10-18-2017

Arrow Trouble with FMP14 ScriptMaker

I have been forced into using FMP14 (previously on FMP11). certainly NOT by choice. I am having a lot of trouble getting the hang of the new (to me) Script editor.

Three questions:

How do I get a Perform find step to work without dialog?

I tried to get to the FileMaker 14 Script Steps Reference Guide but encountered a 404 page, How can I obtain this?

Is there any kind of list that translates FMP14 script steps in FMP11 form?

Thanks

Senior Moderator - FMT Preferred Developer Consultant - New York - Worldwide AHunter3's Avatar
    FileMaker Pro Software
    FileMaker Advanced/Developer 14, 13, 12, 11, 10, 9. 8.8, 8, 7, 6, 5.5 FileMaker Pro 8, 7, 6, 5.5, 5
    OS
    Windows & Mac
    Skill Level
    Developer
    Last Post
    10-17-2017
    Local Date
    10-20-2017
    Local Time
    02:41 AM
    Last Active
    10-19-2017
    I find the modern scripting environment intolerable too. (I suppose it's easier to learn if you're a newbie but Fm Inc keeps throwing existing experienced users under the bus, making changes that require unlearning what we know and messing with our learned hand and finger movements).

But Perform Find does not now nor has it ever had "a dialog".

It either does or does not include specific requests built into it (mine never do). If you do not specify within Perform Find, you would normally instead do the sequence of Enter Find Mode (turning off the PAUSE, which may be what you were thinking of?) followed by an array of Set Field script steps and ending with Perform Find (without specifying anything at all in the Perform Find script step).

That's how it is in FileMaker 14 and 16 and 12. That's how it was in FileMaker 11 and 10 and 9. That's how it was in FileMaker 6. That's how it was in FileMaker 2.
    Attached Images Attached Images

FMT Preferred FileMaker Consultant - Trainer jaymo67's Avatar
    FileMaker Pro Software
    FileMaker 15 Advanced
    OS
    Mac
    Skill Level
    Developer
    Last Post
    10-19-2017
    Local Date
    10-19-2017
    Local Time
    Last Active
    10-19-2017
    I'd have to disagree with the both of you. The Script Workspace is awesome. You just need to realize it's keyboard based. I'm a mouse guy but have adjusted my skill set to met the requirements of the new Script Workspace and have been pleasantly surprised by him much more efficient it is.
    - John Mark Osborne
    FileMaker Developer for over two decades. Certified in FileMaker 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 and 16.
    http://www.philosophyoffilemaker.com/

Senior Moderator - FMT Preferred Developer Consultant - New York - Worldwide AHunter3's Avatar
    FileMaker Pro Software
    FileMaker Advanced/Developer 14, 13, 12, 11, 10, 9. 8.8, 8, 7, 6, 5.5 FileMaker Pro 8, 7, 6, 5.5, 5
    OS
    Windows & Mac
    Skill Level
    Developer
    Last Post
    10-17-2017
    Local Date
    10-20-2017
    Local Time
    Last Active
    10-19-2017
    I'm totally keyboard based -- I have worked for hours scripting without touching a mouse once -- but I haven't had the patience to learn the behavior of the new Script Workspace. I know that when I try to just type out a script as I normally would, the focus moves to unexpected places. I've ended up editing a totally different script than I started with a couple times! Then there are specification dialogs that don't open to the keystrokes I'm used to using to invoke them, like what value to set a field to -- making me resort to the mouse (ugh!). Even simple stuff like inserting a script step between existing script steps. The fancy feature where it auto-fills what you're probably typing? Should be great! -- isn't. It interrupts the typing itself, it's non-obvious how to agree to the suggestion without using the mouse. Everything takes minutes where it ought to take seconds, admittedly because it's a foreign environment for me and doesn't behave the way I know and expect.

I expect to touch-type the ScriptMaker (or the Manage Scripts'er or the Scripts Workspace or whever the hell the term du jour is); I shouldn't have to LOOK at what's happening, yeesh! FileMaker keeps changing stuff, especially in the Scripting environment, with very little consideration for folks who have learned how to bang stuff out on their keyboard as quickly as they can type in a word processor. It's highly aggravating.

I know, I know, I should spend a weekend doing nothing but scripting in FM 16 and get the hang of how it behaves.

I really really wish they'd adopt a policy of embracing a keyboard-centric environment and then never BREAKING what works, just adding additional things in such a way that the old keystrokes still work. I haven't forgiven them yet for adding the damn script name to the tab order in FileMaker 7 (what were they thinking?!??) (I have probably renamed 237,000 scripts from tabbing once and hitting the keystrokes for the next script step... and guess how often I find it useful to tab into the script name while I'm editing a script???), nor the removal of spacebar to insert the script step on the Mac (oh, now it's control-spacebar? thanks!) but the Script Workspace thingie is just martian, almost zero compatibility with what one used to do, keystroke for keystroke, to assemble a given set of script steps into a script.

FileMaker Pro Software
    FileMaker 15 Advanced
    OS
    Mac
    Skill Level
    Developer
    Last Post
    10-19-2017
    Local Date
    10-19-2017
    Local Time
    Last Active
    10-19-2017

Spend that Weekend

I must admit, it was a tough transition for me, having used the old ScriptMaker click programming for over a decade. It was etched in my cement of a brain with no hope of ever being replaced. But, once I was forced to change, I much prefer the new Script Workspace. I'm glad they broke from the past and started from scratch. The new paradigm of the Script Workspace is far better than any partially updated ScriptMaker. I think you need to spend that weekend making the transition. Here's some of the shortcuts attached as a png.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    - John Mark Osborne
    FileMaker Developer for over two decades. Certified in FileMaker 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 and 16.

Gold Member
    FileMaker Pro Software
    FILEMAKER PRO 11 ADVANCED
    OS
    Mac
    Skill Level
    Intermediate
    Last Post
    10-17-2017
    Local Date
    10-19-2017
    Local Time
    Last Active
    10-18-2017
    Thanks, I get it now.

However I have a new Scriptmaker problem.

I have what I think is a simple script, but I keep getting an error reading "[102 [Field is missing]". I could find no expalanation in the $46 Missing Manual book I bought I bought; nor was there anything in the Script Reverence PDF that I downloaded from this site. Can; can you give me a clue as to what this means?

FileMaker Pro Software
    FileMaker 15 Advanced
    OS
    Mac
    Skill Level
    Developer
    Last Post
    10-19-2017
    Local Date
    10-19-2017
    Local Time
    Last Active
    10-19-2017
    It likely means you are trying to paste or insert or go to a field that isn't present on the current layout.
    - John Mark Osborne

FileMaker Pro Software
    OS
    Windows & Mac
    Skill Level
    Developer
    Last Post
    10-17-2017
    Local Date
    10-20-2017
    Local Time
    Last Active
    10-19-2017
    Quote Originally Posted by jaymo67 View Post
    I must admit, it was a tough transition for me, having used the old ScriptMaker click programming for over a decade. It was etched in my cement of a brain with no hope of ever being replaced. But, once I was forced to change, I much prefer the new Script Workspace. I'm glad they broke from the past and started from scratch. The new paradigm of the Script Workspace is far better than any partially updated ScriptMaker. I think you need to spend that weekend making the transition. Here's some of the shortcuts attached as a png.
    Thanks, I appreciate you posting that.

Gold Member
    FileMaker Pro Software
    FILEMAKER PRO 11 ADVANCED
    OS
    Mac
    Skill Level
    Intermediate
    Last Post
    10-17-2017
    Local Date
    10-19-2017
    Local Time
    Last Active
    10-18-2017
    Thanks. But there are more than 500 different error messages listed. Shouldn't there be some kind of documentation that explains what each one means?

Thread Information