Our Preferred Hosting Provider - Award Wining FileMaker Pro Hosting
    Downloads
    Uploads

FileMaker 5.5 Server Documentation

I'm looking for any books on FileMaker 5.5 Server.
    I've seen many books on 5.5, but am having difficulty in finding any dedicated to the Server aspect of FileMaker 5.5.

Thanks.
    Warning: This is an Old Thread
    This discussion is older than 420 days. information contained in it may no longer be current

Downloads
    Uploads

Re: FileMaker 5.5 Server Documentation

Pardon me, books?

FM server is just installed and you can set approximately 5 parameters and that is all. It is invisible on Windows, running as service or application on Mac OS which should be ALWAYS as the top one.
    It will open all databases you'll put in server folder and one level deeper in folder structure.

That is all.

Downloads
    Uploads

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">:</font><hr>Originally posted by SpazMonkey:
    [qb]I'm looking for any books on FileMaker 5.5 Server.
    I've seen many books on 5.5, but am having difficulty in finding any dedicated to the Server aspect of FileMaker 5.5.

Thanks.[/qb]<hr></blockquote>

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks. That's more information than I've been able to get from anyone else so far. I talked with FileMaker and they said I had to create a database to link to the server since the Company won't let me install it on our PDC here at work. I had to install it on a file server instead. I guess I'm just curious as to what all the "server" portion allows me to do in terms of administration. Thanks again for your help.
    JJ

Downloads
    Uploads

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">:</font><hr>Originally posted by SpazMonkey:
    [qb]Thanks. That's more information than I've been able to get from anyone else so far. I talked with FileMaker and they said I had to create a database to link to the server since the Company won't let me install it on our PDC here at work. I had to install it on a file server instead. I guess I'm just curious as to what all the "server" portion allows me to do in terms of administration. Thanks again for your help.
    JJ[/qb]<hr></blockquote>

If you can, never install FM server on file server. You will degrade the performance of FM server.

You cannot do much administration. Just expected number of files and users and backup time. That is all. Clients are connecting to FM database through HOST button. That is more or less all.

Or instead the HOST button you can have small file which will open files from server.

Downloads
    Uploads

Currently, we are using the Host button to connect as Corp will not allow us to install on PDC. Will the "database script" allow any better performance in useage ? We are only using one database that we are sharing at this time, but I am interested in possibly finding a way around the installation we have chosen on the File Server. Thanks again for your help.

JJ

Downloads
    Uploads

I have copied off the .pdf file included on the CD regarding administration. I'll be reading it in the next few days. Hope to find something useful there.

Thanks.

JJ

Thread Information