AppWorks is happy to share LaunchIt a user friendly file launching module. This FileMaker module gives developers a fast way to share solutions with clients.
It takes time to talk a client through adding the hosted solution to their favorites and going through the steps of typing credentials – especially if the client is prone to typos. The launcher file takes less than a minute to set up, gives the user feedback if it doesn’t work, and doesn’t have the potential for opening security holes in a system.
A fmp url protocol and the open url script tell FileMaker to go to a server and open a file without having to put an external data reference in the launcher file or authorize the launcher in the hosted file. This only passes an open command – no account name or password information to the file. Security is left to the hosted file and comparable to the open command from within FileMaker.
- Download the LaunchIt file from our downloads page.
- Make a copy of the LaunchIt file.
- Rename the copy to match the filename being launched.
- Double click the renamed file to open.
- Type the server address and filename in the setting screen, this screen displays the first time the file is opened.
The server address can be the raw IP address or the domain name – don’t use http:// or https://.
- Test the settings with the “test connection” and “open file” buttons.
- Close the settings window.
D’oh: If you set up file without making a copy you’ll need access to the admin screen. To edit the file, hold down the option key (shift in Windows) and double click on the file. “Admin” is the username with no password.
Attach the launcher file you created to an email and send to your client.
If a user has an unsuccessful launch, the file will test the internet connection by trying to connect to Google.com. Then it will try to connect to the server’s test page at :16000/Test.html. If a developer has disabled the test html on their server, they will need to add some other test for server connection, or forgo that test altogether.
Depending on the results of these tests, it will tell the user:
- You do not appear to be connected to the internet.
- Connection to server [server name] failed.
- Successfully connected to server, but file [solution name] does not appear to be open. Please confirm the filename is not misspelled, or that [solution name] has not been closed or moved.
The user can use the “Try Again” button, or click on the gear icon in the lower right to go to the settings page and modify the server address or filename.
Get the free download: Download LaunchIt
Latest from Keefer Rogers
- FileMaker Crosstab Reports with Demo File Download
- FmPro Script Diff 1.72 Adds FileMaker 15, PDF & Unicode Diff Features
- FileMaker integration with Zendesk by Goya's Salvatore Colangelo
- Jump Start with FileMaker Starter Solutions - uLearnIt
- LearningFileMaker.com releases Video Training for Startups and Entrepreneurs