01-26-2017
    Local Date
    12-12-2017
    Local Time
    03:07 PM
    Last Active
    01-26-2017

Need help restoring bad files

Hey everyone, The company I work on has a legacy system on Filemaker Server 5 and Filemaker Pro 6 / Developer 6, As you guys know each database is a table in the new filemaker versions, I have issues with certain files, I don't know what to do, when navigating from 1 DB to another one based on relationships some relationships became unstable in a way that they freeze and takes longer to to go related records.

This wasn't happening before and I'm sure those relationships were not modified or anything, I actually believe that the files themselves might be kind of corrupted.

I have tried

• Copying the main DBs and replacing them

• Saving copies as compressed (smaller)

• Restoring the main DBs

None of these fixed the issue, I don't know what else to do, maybe there is a tool or something missing that can check for the actual file health or indexes or something?

I would appreciate any information since this is crucial for the company, the solution is working very slow and I'm running our of ideas.

Thanks in advance

FileMaker Pro Software
    FileMaker 14 Server
    OS
    Windows & Mac
    Skill Level
    Developer
    Last Post
    11-16-2017
    Local Date
    12-12-2017
    Local Time
    02:07 PM
    Last Active
    12-12-2017
    I would suggest upgrading to the latest version of FM immediately rather than beating yourself up with this nightmare and running into even more issues trying to resurrect your database...you would be doing your company and yourself a huge favor.

Forum Member
    FileMaker Pro Software
    FileMaker 14 Advanced
    OS
    Windows & Mac
    Skill Level
    Developer
    Last Post
    01-26-2017
    Local Date
    12-12-2017
    Local Time
    Last Active
    01-26-2017
    That would be ideal, but the solution is way too big already that for a simple person to migrate the solution into a new updated version can take way too long speacially considering that now everything is way simpler and easier. I'm talking about 100+ .fp5 files.

I told this to my boss a few years ago but he insisted on keep going, now it's chaos but I need to find a way of fixing this.

Senior Moderator - FMT Preferred Developer Consultant - New York - Worldwide AHunter3's Avatar
    FileMaker Pro Software
    FileMaker Advanced/Developer 14, 13, 12, 11, 10, 9. 8.8, 8, 7, 6, 5.5 FileMaker Pro 8, 7, 6, 5.5, 5
    OS
    Windows & Mac
    Skill Level
    Developer
    Last Post
    12-10-2017
    Local Date
    12-12-2017
    Local Time
    Last Active
    12-12-2017
    I converted one consisting of 454 tables, rebuilding from scratch, in 2006.

Senior Moderator - FMT Preferred Developer Consultant - Netherlands, Europe, Asia, USA Maarten Witberg's Avatar
    FileMaker Pro Software
    version 11, 12, 13, 14, 15
    OS
    Windows & Mac
    Skill Level
    Developer
    Last Post
    06-29-2017
    Local Date
    12-12-2017
    Local Time
    10:07 PM
    Last Active
    12-07-2017
    None of these fixed the issue, I don't know what else to do, maybe there is a tool or something missing that can check for the actual file health or indexes or something?

I would appreciate any information since this is crucial for the company, the solution is working very slow and I'm running our of ideas
    As Ross and Alan have said, it may be wise to invest in a complete overhaul wich may cost $$$ now but will save many more in the long run because your database has become unmanageable and will damage business. It may be wise to seek independent advice before taking that step.

Nevertheless, that scenario could take a couple of months to complete so you may investigate several ways to optimise your current solution.

If you are a technet member you can download a guide on how to enhance performance (it's written with the latest versions in mind, but the core concepts hold for v6 as well): http://www.filemaker.com/company/med...solutions.html

Before attempting anything, create a backup of the entire solution. I haven't worked with version 6 files in years so... but I am hazarding a few guesses that might help speed up stuff:

- the indexes of the foreign and/or primary keys may need to be rebuilt -> use the first set of instructions here: http://www.filemaker.com/help/12/fmp...ver.40.12.html

- the related sets of records have become very large which leads to lots of back and forth data traffic between server and client, for instance if you're habitually showing portals that have hundreds of related records or more and lots of calculations in them. It's not really possible to tell if this is the case without seeing the solution. But you can experiment with this. For instance if you're showing ten years worth of invoices for a client in a portal, you could limit this by showing only the invoices for the past two years for instance. Then if it is necessary to create multiyear financial overviews you could create a scripted way to retrieve that info. A more radical approach may be just to archive a lot of data, but you need to be very careful doing that of course.

- layouts have become very complex over the years so with each screen refresh a lot of stuff has got to be updated. Use the script step Freeze Window in any and all scripts liberally. It will prevent screen refreshes that you don't need for instance when looping through a long list of records.

- Can the tree be pruned? look critically at those 100+ files. are all of them still in use? Are there redundant or obsolete relations that may lead to unnecessary data traffic?

- look at potential hardware and OS issues. Version 6 was released in 2002, your hardware probably is more recent than that.

edited-in afterhoughts:
    -- sort orders in portals may be off. if they are set to sort by a related value (or even an erroneous sort setting used by copy-pasting) stuff will slow down
    -- summary fields that have to be updated for a large set may also cause a performance hit, so limit their use or script their update on user request. put a global field in the layout and remove the summary field.
    Last edited by Maarten Witberg; 01-26-2017 at 03:25 AM.
    Stick to what you don't know.

http://www.maartenwitberg.nl

Filemaker 15 Certified Developer

-------

Thread Information