08-03-2017
    Local Date
    11-23-2017
    Local Time
    04:30 PM
    Last Active
    08-08-2017

using matching repeating field number in calculations

Maybe I am totally way off base here. Is there a way to get the number (not quantity; more like active repetition number) of a repeating field to use in a calculation that involves another repeating field? I will try to explain.

I have a database called '2017 Compaction'. Within are the following repeating fields: Material/Soil Description, Reference Density, Soil Description, Dry Density and Percent Compaction. In the data entry, there could be multiple types of Soils with different Reference Densities. Is it possible to create a script/calculation that will match Soil Description to Material/Soil Description, returning the repeating field number and then uses the corresponding Reference Density in the Percent Compaction calculation?

example:

Repeating Field # Material/Soil Description Reference Density Soil Description Dry Density Percent Compaction results
    1 Granular A Type I 2175 Granular B 2179 100.2 = Dry Density [1]/Reference Density [2]*100
    2 Granular A Type II 2150 Granular A 2140 99.5 = Dry Density [2]/Reference Density [1]*100

I would like to be able to use the appropriate Reference Density with the matching Soil Description. Right now it only calculates the Percent based on the first Reference Density entry (thus i get 98.4% on the Gran A Type II instead of 99.5).

Does this make ANY sense? Is this even possible?

Attached are screen shots showing my fields in layout mode as well as an example of the data entry.

Thanks in advance for any assistance - even if it is simply that I am off my rocker

percent.PNG

Capture2.PNG

FMT Preferred FileMaker Consultant - Trainer jaymo67's Avatar
    FileMaker Pro Software
    FileMaker 15 Advanced
    OS
    Mac
    Skill Level
    Developer
    Last Post
    11-02-2017
    Local Date
    11-23-2017
    Local Time
    01:30 PM
    Last Active
    11-02-2017
    It's been a long time since I used a repeating field instead of a relationship but if memory serves me right, the Extend function allows a repeating field to function properly with a regular field. However, you really need to get rid of those repeating fields in favor of tables. You can use the Split Repeating Fields feature on import to place your data into a new table. This will make creating relationships much easier.
    - John Mark Osborne
    FileMaker Developer for over two decades. Certified in FileMaker 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 and 16.
    http://www.philosophyoffilemaker.com/

Forum Member
    FileMaker Pro Software
    FileMaker 11 Server Pro
    OS
    Windows
    Skill Level
    Novice
    Last Post
    08-03-2017
    Local Date
    11-23-2017
    Local Time
    04:30 PM
    Last Active
    08-08-2017
    I am using Extend in the calculation currently in place but it needs to be dynamic based on material description.
    Everything i have read says "ditch the repeating fields". My 2018 form will make these go away!

Thread Information