Local Date
    12-10-2017
    Local Time
    08:16 PM
    Last Active
    12-10-2017

FileMaker "Not Responding"

Hi,
    I have a issue with a file that I have.(Using FileMaker Pro14). The issue is that when I try to import new Images to the file it will show the error "Not responding". If I let the file run for while the Images will be displayed. However, if I scroll down the image list it will again show "Not Responding".
    I have about 200 images that I import. I reduce this to about 100 images. This seemed to speed up the import and show the images.
    My Images are currently stored on my hard drive. Is there a solution to my problem. Should I have the Images be displayed when I select a product and not imported to my file? If I do not use the Import method could someone direct me on how to show images when the product is selected.

Thanks
    Charles

Senior Moderator - FMT Preferred Developer Consultant - New York - Worldwide AHunter3's Avatar
    FileMaker Pro Software
    FileMaker Advanced/Developer 14, 13, 12, 11, 10, 9. 8.8, 8, 7, 6, 5.5 FileMaker Pro 8, 7, 6, 5.5, 5
    OS
    Windows & Mac
    Skill Level
    Developer
    Last Post
    12-10-2017
    Local Date
    12-10-2017
    Local Time
    09:16 PM
    Last Active
    12-11-2017
    a) You explained that your images are stored on your hard drive. Is your database ALSO on your hard drive, or are you opening it as a guest and it is hosted elsewhere?

b) When you go to import an image you are offered a choice*: to store only a reference to the image versus to store the image in the database (this option is available per each import —*it's a checkbox). Are you storing your images in the database, or just storing a reference?

c) What do you mean by "I have about 200 images 'that I import' "? Generally speaking, an image is either already imported, in which case it is not an image "that you import", as if it were something that you do over and over again on a regular basis, or else it is not as of yet imported, in which case one would normally say "that I want to import". Are you recurrently importing the same 200 images for some reason (like, maybe you change the images themselves periodically or something?) or do you mean "Every once in awhile I import about 200 images at at time", or what? Can you clarify?

d) Please describe the layout on which the images are being displayed. Is this a list view or a table view, where all 200 records are being displayed on-screen, so that each and every one of those 200 images are being drawn onscreen after import? Or is this a Form View, showing only a single image, and it is still saying "not responding" when you try to scroll to the next record or something? Or, for that matter, does a single individual record have 200 separate container fields in it, each one with an image?

e) Heck, I'm just assuming you meant "into a container field". For all I know, you may be importing images to use as your background, on your layout. Can you clarify where and how you are placing the images in your database and how many separate individual images you are trying to display on your computer screen at any given time?

f) What is the file size and file format of your image files? Are we talking JPEG images of 127KB or TIFF images of 1.25 GB or what, exactly?

g) I don't understand this final question and you would need to unpack it for me:

Should I have the Images be displayed when I select a product and not imported to my file? If I do not use the Import method could someone direct me on how to show images when the product is selected.
    You know what you mean by "when I select a product" — no one else does. We aren't mind readers. We don't know if, in your database, "selecting a product" means clicking a text-only record in List View and bringing up a Form View of that same record, this time with a container field that has a photo image in it of your product; or if instead you mean something else like clicking a "Select Product" and having it run a script that exports the image file from a container field and then tells the operating system to open it in Photoshop or something.

There are several methods of displaying an image without it literally being inside of a FileMaker database, but until we are both clear on what your situation is, how you're trying to do it now that isn't working for you, I don't want to add to the confusion by describing methods of doing this.

* Not to be confused with a second option, for images stored "in the database", if and only if it is hosted by FileMaker Server, whether to store them literally within the .fmp12 file itself or to store any and all container field data in a separate folder (this option is an across-the-board option for FileMaker Server). You haven't mentioned FileMaker Server and I'm assuming you're not using it

Forum Member
    FileMaker Pro Software
    FileMaker 14 Pro
    OS
    Windows
    Skill Level
    Novice
    Last Post
    12-03-2017
    Local Date
    12-10-2017
    Local Time
    08:16 PM
    Last Active
    12-10-2017
    HI,
    My Image file and Database is stored in C drive and currently not "Hosted".

I uncheck the "Check Box". This seems to correct the run error.

Thanks for your help I'll get back to the other question you asked

Thread Information